Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance Services provide support to low-income residents of Red Lake County. Eligibility is determined for public assistance programs such as Medicaid, Food Support, General Assistance, Child Care and the Minnesota Family Investment Program.  If you prefer to not apply online, you may print off the Combined Application Form (CAF) and mail or drop it off at our office.  The CAF is available as a PDF that can be printed and filled out or an online fillable form

To apply for most healthcare programs, go to to apply online or contact us to request an application.

  • Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) - This program helps to pay childcare costs for low-income working families.  CCAP can help you pay either licensed daycare providers, or legal non-licensed providers.  DHS has provided a video to give you information about non-licensed provider options.
  • Diversionary Work Program (DWP) - When most families first apply for cash assistance, they will participate in the Diversionary Work Program, or DWP. This is a 4 month program that helps parents go immediately to work.
  • Food Support Program (SNAP) - This program helps low-income people with their food costs.
  • General Assistance (GA) - This program serves as Minnesota's primary safety net for single adults and childless couples. The GA Program provides monthly cash grants for persons who cannot provide for themselves and whose income and resources are less than program limits.
  • Housing Support (Formerly GRH) - This program is a state-funded income supplement program that pays for room-and-board costs for low-income adults who have been placed in a licensed or registered setting with which a county human service agency has negotiated a monthly rate.
  • Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) - This program is Minnesota's Cash and Food Assistance program for families who need assistance.
  • Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) - This program is a state funded program that provides a monthly cash supplement to people who are aged, blind or disabled and who receive federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.
  • Medical Assistance (MA) - This program assists children under the age of 21, parents or relative caretakers of dependent children, pregnant women, people who are 65 or older and people who have a disability.  Most people have their medical services provided under a health plan once they are determined eligible for Minnesota Healthcare Programs.  Provider directories for the health plans available in Red Lake County can be found on the provider websites:  BlueCrossMN, HealthPartners, UCare.
  • Other Health Care Programs - There are a variety of health care programs available to assist specific groups of people. These include persons in Nursing Homes, at-home care services, etc. the Department of Human Services web site is a good source of information on these programs.
  • Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) - This program coordinates services to assist refugees in making the transition to life in the United States. These services include resettlement and placement, cash and medical assistance, and employment and social services.
  • Emergency Assistance Programs - Although funding is limited, there may be cash assistance available to help with emergency situations such as a threat of eviction or utility shut-off. The eligibility for this program is based on each county's eligibility criteria, please contact the county for information about eligibility requirements and available funds. 


You may contact a Red Lake County worker for further assistance at:

Red Lake County Social Services

125 Edward Ave NW,  PO Box 356

Red Lake Falls, MN  56750

Phone: (218) 253-4131 -or- Toll Free: (877) 294-0846

Fax:  (218) 253-2926


For more information or to apply for any of these programs, please follow the procedure to apply online, or complete a paper application.  You may request an application to be mailed or faxed to you, or you may pick one up at our office.  Cash and food programs require an interview to complete the application process, this can be done in person at our office or if you are unable to come to our office we may be able to make arrangements to meet you elsewhere.  

Some programs allow telephone interviews, we will offer a telephone interview whenever possible.